This week, I spent time in the mountains, reflecting on 18 years of marriage to my best friend. Never in a million years could I have dreamt what these last 18 years would look like. And I cannot even begin to imagine what the next 18 will offer.
But we do have hopes and dreams and a vision. And as my dad used to say, “If you don’t know where you are going, you are liable to end up somewhere else.” In other words, in order to get where we want to go, we have to live ON PURPOSE and WITH INTENTION.
We spent our anniversary with our children (1/3 of them anyway), playing shuffleboard, putt-putt and fishing. We also spent time reading. We both read the book “The Go-Giver” cover to cover. It was super impactful.
The book offers “Five Laws of Stratospheric Success”:
- The Law of Value – Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.
- The Law of Compensation – Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.
- The Law of Influence – Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people’s interests first.
- The Law of Authenticity – The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.
- The Law of Receptivity – The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving.
After reading this book, we had much to ponder. Much to discuss. Much to implement. And I couldn’t help but think about The Exchange. And the women that make it up. And with our next topic “DARE TO SERVE – THE EXCHANGE GIVES BACK” – are we willing to do that? To give back? Are we women, seeking to EXTRACT VALUE or ADD VALUE to those around us?
My hope is that we are looking to ADD to our community. And that we are looking to see what we can GIVE IN VALUE. And how well we SERVE OTHERS. And that we seek to PUT OTHER PEOPLE’S INTERESTS FIRST. And as John Maxwell says, I want us to see our lives as a river and not a reservoir.
I hope you are enjoying your fall break. And that I will see you at the October Exchange.